If historic attractions are your thing, then Wiltshire is a great place to visit as it’s jam packed full of great places to visit. With castle ruins to explore, great spires to climb and real life tales of horrible histories to listen to, you’ll have plenty to do when you are in Wiltshire. And with the ancient sites of Stonehenge, Woodhenge and the Avebury Stone Circle right on your doorstep - you can’t fail to be awe inspired!
- Avebury Stone Circle is listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site and has been designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument. It forms part of the historic village of Avebury which is managed by the National Trust.
- Old Sarum is an ancient Iron Age hillfort housing both the ruins of a medieval castle, as well as the foundations of the original Salisbury Cathedral. It’s also an English Heritage site.
- Old Wardour Castle is an impressive hexagonal castle holding stories of the bloody Civil War and the rise and fall of the Lovell and Arundell families – and is now an English Heritage site.
- Woodhenge dating back to around 2,300BC, is a reconstructed henge and an English Heritage site.
- Salisbury Cathedral built from 1,220 to 1,258 has Britain’s tallest spire and the world’s oldest working clock.
If you are planning on vising Wiltshire and some of these great historic attractions it might be worth considering becoming a member of English Heritage. Not only will you be helping to care for over 400 historic buildings throughout England, but you will enjoy free entry to many historic attractions including; the Alexander Keiller Museum at Avebury, Stonehenge, Old Sarum and Old Wardour Castle – it could even save you your membership!
If you are looking for accommodation in the area then the Holiday Inn Salisbury-Stonehenge is a must. Located conveniently on the A303 it is just a stone’s throw from both Stonehenge and Woodhenge. Visit these historic attractions by day and relax back in your well-appointed room at night. Marvel at the great British landscapes through large picture windows and meet up with friends and family for a top notch meal and a glass of wine at the Solstice Bar & Grill.